- Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive memories. Note: Children older than six may express this symptom in repetitive play.
- Traumatic nightmares. Note: Children may have frightening dreams without content related to the trauma(s).
- Dissociative reactions (e.g., flashbacks) which may occur on a continuum from brief episodes to complete loss of consciousness. Note: Children may reenact the event in play.
- Intense or prolonged distress after exposure to traumatic reminders.
- Marked physiologic reactivity after exposure to trauma-related stimuli.
Criterion C: avoidance
Persistent effortful avoidance of distressing trauma-related stimuli after the event: (one required)
- Trauma-related thoughts or feelings.
- Trauma-related external reminders (e.g., people, places, conversations, activities, objects, or situations).
Criterion D: negative alterations in cognitions and mood
Negative alterations in cognitions and mood that began or worsened after the traumatic event: (two required)
- Inability to recall key features of the traumatic event (usually dissociative amnesia; not due to head injury, alcohol, or drugs).
- Persistent (and often distorted) negative beliefs and expectations about oneself or the world (e.g., “I am bad,” “The world is completely dangerous”).
- Persistent distorted blame of self or others for causing the traumatic event or for resulting consequences.
- Persistent negative trauma-related emotions (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame).
- Markedly diminished interest in (pre-traumatic) significant activities.
- Feeling alienated from others (e.g., detachment or estrangement).
- Constricted affect: persistent inability to experience positive emotions.
Criterion E: alterations in arousal and reactivity
Trauma-related alterations in arousal and reactivity that began or worsened after the traumatic event: (two required)
- Irritable or aggressive behavior
- Self-destructive or reckless behavior
- Exaggerated startle response
- Problems in concentration
- Sleep disturbance
Criterion F: duration
Persistence of symptoms (in Criteria B, C, D, and E) for more than one month.
Criterion G: functional significance
Significant symptom-related distress or functional impairment (e.g., social, occupational).
Criterion H: exclusion
Disturbance is not due to medication, substance use, or other illness.
Specify if: With dissociative symptoms.
In addition to meeting criteria for diagnosis, an individual experiences high levels of either of the following in reaction to trauma-related stimuli:
- Depersonalization: experience of being an outside observer of or detached from oneself (e.g., feeling as if “this is not happening to me” or one were in a dream).
- Derealization: experience of unreality, distance, or distortion (e.g., “things are not real”).
Specify if: With delayed expression.
Full diagnosis is not met until at least six months after the trauma(s), although onset of symptoms may occur immediately.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013) Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Recent PTSD Claims Discussions
- Effective Dates for SC Secondary Conditions
- Agency Information Collection Activity: VA-Guaranteed Home Loan Cash-Out Refinance Loan Comparison Disclosure
- Agency Information Collection Activity: VA Form 26-6705, Offer to Purchase and Contract of Sale, VA Form 26-6705b, Credit Statement of Prospective Purchaser, and VA Form 26-6705d, Addendum to VA Form 26-6705 (VIRGINIA)
- National Research Advisory Council; Notice of Meeting
- Single Judge Application; due process under 38 C.F.R. § 19.37(b) and 38 C.F.R. § 20.1304(c); Ray v. Wilkie, 31 Vet.App. 58, 73 (2019); Van Hoose v. Brown, 4 Vet.App. 361, 363 (1993);
- VA hits major milestone in the resolution of legacy appeals
- 4th of July
- DDD How to prove incapacitating episodes
- Tele C and P Exam from VA Provider
- Have a Testimonial about HadIt.com? Post it here.
- Letter from private Dr
- Solicitation of Nomination for Appointment to the Advisory Committee on the Readjustment of Veterans
- New Claim Appeared Automatically
- C&P Completed w/o C-File