Veterans or next-of-kin of deceased veterans can use vetrecs.archives.gov
Obtain and Fill out Standard Form 180 (SF-180)
Or Write a Letter to Request Records
1. How to Obtain Standard Form 180 (SF-180), Request Pertaining to Military Records
There are several ways to obtain an SF-180. You can:
5. Keep a file of all correspondence (make sure to staple the envelope to the letter for postmark date) with the VA; note received date in your logbook with a brief description.
6. Keep copies of everything you send to the VA, do not send originals unless required.
8. Use the sources of information and links from this website. Use our discussion forum it’s very active you can post your question in any section that is pertinent to your question. It may take a day or so but there’s usually at least one veteran out there that can lend some assistance. Use references, access to the laws and rules governing VA Benefits, tips, suggestions, and aids in helping you become knowledgeable.
9. There are no stupid questions, check the FAQ’s first, then ask for help.
10. Follow the guidelines laid out on the website and follow through with backup for everything.
Expect to continue learning as you go, education is ongoing, share with your brother and sister veterans whenever possible, knowledge is power, we can learn from each others mistakes and avoid problems others have overcome. Welcome Home !! Thank you for your service.